Organizing my fabric stash is almost as fun as sewing with it. I am always looking for better ways to store my fat quarters. I use these most often when making baby quilts and since I make a lot of those, I like having the fabric handy.
I love to up-cycle, so when one of our sons left this CD rack when he moved out, I grabbed it.
Of course this wouldn’t hold them all, so I found a couple racks at an estate sale and placed them behind the door. This just makes me smile!! The shoe rack hanging on the door is for all my scraps.
Found this at another estate sale and
it is perfect for all my gingham fabric.
And then there is my closet…for all my yardage. I am a lucky gal!
So I had 2 weeks off between jobs. Not my choice to get a new job, but landed well and got a 2 week vacation. During my time off my nephew’s girlfriend, Molly asked if we could sew together–of course I said yes.
She picked out the fabric, cut it out and did all the sewing.
We added some applique and it turned out great! Nice job Molly!
My wonderful nephew, Will graduated from high school this year. He earned a full-ride to Tulane in New Orleans. So proud of the young man he has become. Back in the spring I offered to make him a quilt for graduation. My son Andrew gave me specific instructions on how big it should be–long enough to tuck under your feet and still pull up under your chin. So off to Jackman’s Fabrics to shop.
He wanted a modern feel with some more vintage fabrics. He picked a pattern and a bunch of fabric and set me loose. It took me a while to get a layout I liked.
I built a few blocks and then just began auditioning fabric combos. I used the post its to label the type of block each one should become.
I was working with with about 15 different fabrics and it was challenging to keep them all straight. I got to thinking there had to be a better way.
I pulled out my stash of small white bags and put one or 2 styles in each. I then pinned a scrap to the outside and hung them on my tool rack. It worked perfectly! I could stay organized and use the scraps easily. I will definitely try this again!
I was able to get the quilt pieced in time for Will’s graduation party over 4th of July weekend–good thing I took the previous week of work off. I think I spent 4 wonderful days in my sewing room working on it.
Used some of the extra fabric for pillow cases.
I took it to the quilters 2 weeks ago and it is back. Pictures coming.
I’ve done all I can on Michelle’s quilt–I can’t avoid it any longer–time to applique. I’ve never done this before. I used freezer paper to cut the templates, ironed it onto the fabric and then added 1/4 inch as I cut out each shape.
Here is the first block. Not too bad, but I think I will get better with practice. I can always count on the wonderful shrinking that will happen when it is washed to hide a multitude of mistakes.